What You Need To Know About Condo Insurance

People that own condos do not actually own the building that they live in or the land that the building sits on. That is why your Homeowners Association, or HOA for short, carries a master insurance policy that covers the building, and also pays for any accidents that happen outside of the property or in common areas of the property. That being stated, the HOA’s master insurance policy typically does not cover any repairs that are needed inside of your unit if a disaster happens to strike. In addition, the master policy will not cover any liabilities that occur inside of your unit.

If a visitor or third party gets hurt inside of your condo, the liability is your responsibility. That means you are on the line to pay for their medical expenses, and any damages if they successfully sue you in a court of law. To add insult to injury, the HOA’s master insurance policy does not cover the replacement of stolen or damaged personal belongings. In essence, if your stuff is stolen or destroyed in a fire or other type of disaster, you will not be compensated in any manner.  If you feel a bit scared at this point, do not hit the panic button.

The good news is that there is an easy way to protect yourself. You can take out a personal Condo Insurance policy that can cover all of the above. In further good news, personal Condo Insurance In Massachusetts is far more affordable than you may think. On average, it on costs approximately $100-$400 per year. Your particular rate depends upon a few factors. For example, where you live, the construction materials that were used to build your condo, and how much your HOA’s master policy actually covers can affect the numbers.

The coverage options and limits you choose, and of course the deductible amount all factor into the equation as well. So how much condo insurance do you need to purchase? In order to accurately answer this question, you should consult with an experienced insurance agent that specializes in providing condo insurance policies. However, there are a few rules of thumb to give you an idea ahead of time. In order to calculate the amount of personal property coverage you need to replace all of your possessions, simply do a home inventory.

You should also review the HOA’s master policy to see exactly what it covers. For example, some master policies will not cover anything inside of your unit including the plumbing and wiring inside of the walls. Others will cover cabinetry, lighting, and fixtures. It is best to have this information in hand when reviewing your options with your insurance agent. That way you will be able to take out the correct amount of coverage for your particular situation.

In conclusion, it is important to fully understand exactly what you are buying when it comes to insurance policies. If you have any questions, please call (508) 831-0133 to contact an associate at Zawada Insurance. We are happy to walk you through the details of your insurance policies and explain your coverage options. We look forward to helping you with all of your personal and or business related insurance needs now and in the future.

Would You Like Us To Review Your Policies?

Request Your Proposal Here

Are you ready to save time, aggravation, and money? The team at Zawada Insurance Agency is here and ready to make the process as painless as possible. We look forward to meeting you!

Call Email Claims Payments