The Central Massachusetts area has seen a sharp increase in break-ins over the past several months. Whether you live in the heart of Worcester, or in the suburbs, everyone wants to keep their home safe from burglars or intruders. However, not everyone wants to have an alarm system installed. Whether you are nervous about the costs associated with an alarm system, or prefer the do-it-yourself route, there are more options than ever when it comes to home security.
We at Zawada Insurance want to help you sort through some of those options, many of which require little or no cost
The widespread availability of electronic tools means that homeowners can set up their own monitoring systems if they choose, without the help of a home-security company.
- Cameras: Smaller and more inexpensive than ever, cameras can be placed nearly anywhere on the exterior of your home and monitored from inside wirelessly — or set to record footage for review later. Available software even allows you to point your laptop camera in a particular direction (say, at the front door) and check the images from a remote location.
- Lights: Motion-detecting floodlights are an excellent deterrent to thieves, because they don’t want to be seen. Make sure they’re installed near entryways, and that they aren’t easily reached from the ground. And using timers and/or ‘smart light bulbs’ for interior lights is a good way to give the appearance that your home is occupied.
- Alarms: Vibration alarms are available for windows, alerting you if someone is trying to get in. Similarly, other monitors can be installed near doors and programmed to sound if a person comes within a set distance. Some even emit barking sounds to make it appear that a dog is in the house.
Even if you aren’t interested in installing security equipment around your home, there are a number of things you can do to increase safety:
- Keep your home locked. According to FBI statistics, over 33% of home burglaries are committed with the thieves walking through an unlocked door or window. Avoid becoming a statistic! You should also make sure that sliding doors and windows have extra security, such as a track lock or dowel in the track.
- Don’t leave a key outside. If you need to provide access to your home while you’re away, leave your key with a trusted neighbor or friend.
- Watch the landscaping and snow piles. Thick shrubs and bushes around your porch or yard can give thieves a good place to hide. Keep them well-trimmed and ensure that problematic areas can be illuminated with your outdoor lighting. You can run into the same issues in the winter with large snow piles.
- Use common sense. If you’re going away on vacation, cancel your newspaper and other deliveries. Ask a neighbor to keep watch, and park a car out front. Don’t post publicly on social media or leave a message on your answering machine or voicemail indicating that you’ll be away for an extended period.
Burglars really do consider deterrents such as alarms, cameras, dogs, etc., when looking at targets, according to a study released by the University of North Carolina. So a small investment in security can make a big difference!
It’s a great time for a home inventory
If your home was burglarized, would you know what was missing? A home inventory is a crucial tool to help replace everything that was lost. And we can help you do one! Give us a call at (508) 831-0133 or visit our website at www.zawadagroup.com to learn more.
At Zawada Insurance, we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at (508) 831-0133, we want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected!
Content provided by Safeco Insurance